Skip to main content

Opening the flood gates

After my post last week I've been doing a lot of reflecting. I had a handful of people tell me not to be so hard on myself. Not just in comments, but private messages and in person.When I was writing my last blog post the thought did cross my mind that people may think that, but I kind of shrugged it off because to me, I was going easy. I think being too hard on myself it what got me into this "mess" (literally and figuratively) in the first place. I decided that maybe I needed to write about it.

In a post a couple months ago I shared a piece of my story.  This is a little snip-it from that post. When people asked how I was my go to response was “I'm doing pretty good”. But really, if people could have heard my thoughts they would know how alone and isolated I felt, and how much I thought I was failing at life in general.

For a long time I felt like a failure. Nothing specific. Just in general.  I felt like I wasn't good at anything. Eventually I just stopped trying to do things. I didn't want to fail again and I didn't have the confidence to believe I could do it so I didn't try. When I did muster up the strength to try something outside my norm, my comfort zone, I would give up at the first sign of failure. My last attempt at decluttering is a perfect example. I didn't know what to do for the kitchen. Rather than move on to the next area or simply skip a week, figure out what to do and start again, I stopped, gave up. In my mind I failed because I didn't stick to the plan. This is also major struggle for me with healthy habits and has definitely contributed to being 75 pounds overweight. When I’d try to start a new "plan" or change my habits, I would have bad day or even just a bad meal, then give up because I failed.  It had to be all or nothing. But my heart couldn't take the "inevitable failure" again, so it just became nothing. After doing this cycle, over and over for so long it’s hard to break the habit, even though I know now that I am not a failure. I make mistakes, I fall down (usually in front of a crowd). I fail. But I'm not a failure.

At times, it seems kind of silly to me that a simple thing like decluttering is such a struggle for me and brings up all this stuff. But I've realize I find the most growth in the little things. Over the last 2 years I have changed a lot. It hasn't been a sudden major change, it has making little choices each day to stretch myself into using what God has already given me. To find the gifts and strengths He gave me and use them. To step into the light and not hide.

I have been adopted, chosen by God to be part of His family, not because of anything I have done or will do, but by His grace, I have been set free. He has given me an abundance of grace. Not just for the big things, but the little things as well. I've built a dam and have been holding back that grace. Holding myself to such "perfectionist" standards that I've given up. Not anymore. It’s time to open the floodgates. There are things I'd like the do different and I'm choosing to embrace God’s grace and do them. And when I struggle, I will keep going.

So, I'm starting again on the decluttering.  Because I want to have a more organized home and we have way more than we need. I want my kids to see the value in taking care of their things and being content with what they have. Last year I made a 10 week schedule, but I have decided to do things differently this time. I've made a list of the different areas of our home and will work my way through it. Once one is done, I'll move on, whether its been 2 days or 2 weeks. So far, I have decluttered/organized the coat closet and 2 tables in the living room. Next up, the kitchen. Watch out canvas bags shoved in the back of the pantry, I'm coming for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gettin' real..

Well, I got on Facebook this morning and thanks to FB memories, I discovered it's been over a year since my last post. You were all supposed to remind me that I was supposed to be writing regularly and going to bed at a decent time. Guess you're all busy like I am :) I left off last post saying I was going to work on improving one area of my life at a time in order to have a less chaotic day to day lifestyle. First step, go to bed at a decent time. Well... so much for that. The only thing I worked on this last year was bringing a little guy named Oliver into our family. He was born about 3 months ago and we're all head over heals for him. However, he's definitely not helped with the bed time.  So, Its time to get real... I have a confession to make. I'm guilty of being a Facebook faker. I think most of us are to an extent and I think that is ok. In order to not annoying my Facebook 'friends', I do the best I can to stay away from negativity and anyt

Drop the weights

Have you ever watched a reality TV weight loss competition? There was one in particular that I liked to watch. They always did the same challenge toward the end of every season, after the contestants had lost a significant amount of weight. They would have to compete in a race, but with a twist. At the beginning of the race they would have to pick up different size weights, one for each week that represented the weight they had lost that week. They loaded up, strapping them on until they were back up to their starting weight. It was always interesting to watch. In the short time that it had taken to lose it all, they had forgotten what the extra weight left like. Even though their muscles were stronger, the added weight made it a lot more difficult to run. Throughout the race there were different “checkpoints” were they would drop a weight, one week of weight loss. As they dropped the weights they were able to see an instant change. One they hadn't noticed the first time they los

10 Week Plan for Decluttering

Confession. Most of this has been written for 3 days. Ive been putting off finishing and posting it because then it will be real...and I'll actually have to do it.... So, last week I wrote about needing to declutter. Here's my plan of action. I read a blog post early this week that got me thinking. It was '52 weeks to a decluttered home'. She broke down her house into 52 different projects and worked on 1 per week. At first, I loved the idea. It seemed simple and easy to accomplish. Then the more I thought about it the more I realized I do not want to be decluttering  this house for a year!! Now, I realize in order to keep the house decluttered it has to be an on going thing but Id rather get to a reasonable place quickly, then try to maintain.  So rather than 52 small projects (like one bookshelf) per week, Im going to break it down by room and based on the amoumt of decluttering that needs to happen, give myself a time frame. For example, my front room has 2 tiny tab