Skip to main content

Drop the weights

Have you ever watched a reality TV weight loss competition? There was one in particular that I liked to watch. They always did the same challenge toward the end of every season, after the contestants had lost a significant amount of weight. They would have to compete in a race, but with a twist. At the beginning of the race they would have to pick up different size weights, one for each week that represented the weight they had lost that week. They loaded up, strapping them on until they were back up to their starting weight. It was always interesting to watch. In the short time that it had taken to lose it all, they had forgotten what the extra weight left like. Even though their muscles were stronger, the added weight made it a lot more difficult to run. Throughout the race there were different “checkpoints” were they would drop a weight, one week of weight loss. As they dropped the weights they were able to see an instant change. One they hadn't noticed the first time they lost those pounds.

A few weeks ago this challenge came to mind and I've been mulling it over for awhile. Something about it spoke to me…. But not in a weight loss sense. I feel like I have gone through this season of “losing weight”, which for me was dealing with things that I had buried, hoping it would go away. Things that I didn't realize had taken root in my heart and taken over who God created me to be. They were affecting every aspect of my life.  They were disrupting my relationship with not only God, but my husband, my kids and hindering me from real friendships. I knew it was time to let go and let God deal with it things I had kept hidden. Much like the weight loss competition, it was all about the training. Training my mind to rest on a Godly perspective. Changing my negative thought dialog. Shifting my view to see myself how God sees me and step into new roles. Becoming who He made me. Im at a point where its no longer my normal to hide. Each day I’m becoming more and more ME. My thought dialog is probably 50% changed, as in my first immediate thought. Yet, there are days, weeks even, where I feel the "failure" sign plastered on my forehead. I pick up the weights, strap them back on and feel the weight I carried around for years, not knowing how heavy it was. I go back to this challenge, where I reminded of the burdens I carried. When I feel this, I have to make a choice. I can choose to keep these weights. They can be my burden to carry. Or I can choose to drop them. I choose the second option. God already took them. He freed me from the shame and guilt and negativity. But I have to choose to let them go.

As I was driving the kids to school this morning, the song Redeemed came on the radio. This whole song feels like the lyrics are coming straight from my soul.

Seems like all I can see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me "son
Stop fighting a fight that's already been won"

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
And wipe away every stain now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed
I'm redeemed

God already did it. I am Redeemed. But I have to shake of the chains, drop the weights, choose to step into that freedom. This took me so long to grasp. I kept waiting for this lightning bolt moment where suddenly my past wouldn't affect me. My shame would be gone. I would know just how much He loves me and I'd see myself through His loving eyes. But it doesn't work like that. Its moment by moment of choosing freedom. When you feel the weight back on, its making a beeline to the checkpoint and dropping the weight, making a conscious choice to say, “No, I've already dealt with that, I'm not carrying it around again” It's all about the training. The more you do it, the stronger you get and the easier it becomes.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gettin' real..

Well, I got on Facebook this morning and thanks to FB memories, I discovered it's been over a year since my last post. You were all supposed to remind me that I was supposed to be writing regularly and going to bed at a decent time. Guess you're all busy like I am :) I left off last post saying I was going to work on improving one area of my life at a time in order to have a less chaotic day to day lifestyle. First step, go to bed at a decent time. Well... so much for that. The only thing I worked on this last year was bringing a little guy named Oliver into our family. He was born about 3 months ago and we're all head over heals for him. However, he's definitely not helped with the bed time.  So, Its time to get real... I have a confession to make. I'm guilty of being a Facebook faker. I think most of us are to an extent and I think that is ok. In order to not annoying my Facebook 'friends', I do the best I can to stay away from negativity and anyt

10 Week Plan for Decluttering

Confession. Most of this has been written for 3 days. Ive been putting off finishing and posting it because then it will be real...and I'll actually have to do it.... So, last week I wrote about needing to declutter. Here's my plan of action. I read a blog post early this week that got me thinking. It was '52 weeks to a decluttered home'. She broke down her house into 52 different projects and worked on 1 per week. At first, I loved the idea. It seemed simple and easy to accomplish. Then the more I thought about it the more I realized I do not want to be decluttering  this house for a year!! Now, I realize in order to keep the house decluttered it has to be an on going thing but Id rather get to a reasonable place quickly, then try to maintain.  So rather than 52 small projects (like one bookshelf) per week, Im going to break it down by room and based on the amoumt of decluttering that needs to happen, give myself a time frame. For example, my front room has 2 tiny tab